How well are you taking care of yourself? How is your physical, emotional, spiritual, and social well-being? If you are struggling to take care of yourself, especially when life is stressful (when is it not?), you could benefit from practicing self-care. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!
If you need to work on your self-care, individual counseling can greatly benefit you. Let's talk.
What is Self-Care?
It is not self-indulgence or self-pampering.
Most of us, myself included, could improve on how we take care of ourselves. We run ourselves ragged fulfilling our responsibilities and obligations to our family, friends and our work place, but we neglect ourselves. When we do this, we see the things that are most important to us, such as our health, our relationships, our career and our life goals, negatively affected. When we live a balanced life, we are able to complete our “to dos” and not feel emotional drained, depleted of energy and lacking in motivation at the end of the day. I think we could all benefit from taking care of ourselves (or self-care).
How Well Are You Taking Care of Yourself?
To quickly assess how well you are taking care of yourself, ask yourself the following questions:
• Do I get 6-8 hours of sleep a night?
• Am I eating 3 balanced meals a day?
• Am I able to say “no” to extra responsibilities sometimes?
• Do I participate in exercise 2-3 times a week?
• Do I know who is in my social support group and do I maintain those relationships?
• Do I have a hobby I enjoy doing?
• Do I know and participate in activities that relax me?
• Am I keeping my mind sharp by reading good books, playing word puzzles or seeking to educate myself further in areas that interest me?
• Do I know what triggers my bad moods and am I actively working remove those triggers?
• Do I know how to express my emotions in healthy ways that don’t hurt myself or others?
• Have I established spiritual or religious practices and do I practice them consistently?
If you were able to answer yes to most of these questions, than you are on your way to practicing good self-care. If you answered no more times
than you answered yes, it is time to implement some self-care practices in your life to prevent further self-neglect!
Tips for Better Self-Care
Some tips for better self-care include:
Do you have a specific question about self-care or how to better care for yourself? Ask me.
If you are in an emergency or crisis situation, please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency room.
860 Hebron Parkway, Suite 1102, Lewisville, TX 75057 | 2017 | Cluff Counseling | All rights reserved.