Quarantine might be hard, but don’t let it be hard on your love life. Whether you’ve been dating a short time or have been married for years, I have some stay-at-home date ideas that will strengthen your relationship!
I know I have written about quarantine the last couple weeks now…but can anyone think about anything else other than how crazy things are in the world?! It is tough, but I know we can make it through this with our most important relationships intact!
One thing that I have heard frequently during this quarantine is that couples are needing a way to reset and reconnect; lovers are wanting to feel more love during this difficult time. So while all of the usual ideas (eat out, see a movie, etc.) are off the table, let’s explore what the two of you can do from the comfort of your own home:
- Prepare a candle-lit dinner
- Read a book together
- Make a music video
- Watch a movie (don’t forget the popcorn!)
- Have a picnic
- Order take out
- Enjoy a themed dinner/movie (I once did this with the movie “Prom Night”–prom dress and all!)
- Make fondue
- Have a bonfire
- Roast smores
- Have a dessert bar
- Throw a backyard movie night
- Watch a sports game
- Watch a concert
- Battle with a video game night
- Have a board/card game night
- Do a puzzle
- Create a DIY photo booth
- Decorate your living space for an upcoming birthday/holiday
- Go indoor camping
- Have a “no electricity” night
- Be artistic: Draw, do watercolor, paint, etc.
- Play Twister
- Karaoke night
- Dance party
- Turn your home into a spa
- Talk about dreams and goals
- Plan a vacation
- Dream together about travel destinations
- Make a bucket list
- Take a personality or love language test
- Play a conversation starter game like Would You Rather…?
- Walk and talk
- Watch home videos
- Go through old photos
- Create a photo book
- Make delicious food: Homemade ice cream, bread, pizza, donuts…!
- Have a nerf gun war
- Start a movie marathon
- Decorate mugs for each other
- Go star gazing
- Peruse Pinterest for fun meal ideas
- DIY together
- Go indoor bowling
- Play music together
- Build a fort (throwback!)
Of course these are just a few of millions of ideas! What you and your partner choose to do is up to you, and there are endless possibilities. Remember that the goal is to connect. Sitting near each other while you are each on your devices does not count as a meaningful date or quality time. Yes, a movie night is fun, but be sure to spend time talking to your partner too. I selected the above activities because they encourage you to put away the distractions and give each other your undivided attention. Some of these do not require much time, but would be greatly beneficial to your relationship. No matter what you choose to do for your quarantine style date night, remember that the purpose is to connect with each other. Humans are literally wired for connection! We all need it! It will help you more than just survive this quarantine.
When you set aside time, specifically for your partner, I promise you will feel more connected and happier. Please comment below if you end up doing one of these suggestions, or if you have another creative idea you would like to add to the list. And if you feel you and your partner could use some help connecting with each other, I offer online sessions. Please do not hesitate to contact me to schedule a session!
Hang in there this week of continued quarantine craziness! I am right there with you!
Melissa Cluff is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist based in North Texas, providing face-to-face and telehealth therapy options to clients in Texas.
- Cluff Counseling: #RelationshipGoals
- Cluff Counseling: Adding Sex to Your Agenda
- Cluff Counseling: Adding Affection to Your Agenda
- Cluff Counseling: The Direct Path to Happy Relationships
- Cluff Counseling: Love Languages: Showing Love Through the Gift of Quality Time
- Cluff Counseling: The Most Forgotten of the Human Needs
- Cluff Counseling: The Not-So-Secret Recipe to a Successful Relationship
- Cluff Counseling: Questions to Get You Out of the Quarantine Slump
- Cluff Counseling: Re-Spark the Flame: Affection
- Cluff Counseling: Sanity-Saving Exercises During Quarantine
- Cluff Counseling: Strengthen Your Relationship With This Simple Checklist
- Nurturing Marriage: 50 Date Ideas (that aren’t boring!) + a FREE ebook!
- Nurturing Marriage: 5 Ideas for the “Stay-at-Home,” Dater
- Six Sisters’ Stuff: 32 STAY-AT-HOME DATE IDEAS (PLUS LINKS TO 350+ MORE IDEAS!)
- Vital Dollar: 40 Fantastic Stay at Home Date Ideas